The greatest skill a leader can have is being able to communicate effectively with others.
So, here’s my top 10 tips to help you improve your communication skills.
- Listen! Really listen, don’t interrupt or take over the conversation. Get the full message. If you can increase your listening you will be more engaged, understand your team better and your team will feel like they are being heard and validated.
- Ask others for their input. Invite them to express their opinion. You might hear something that’s useful. You will help your team to feel included and that their opinion matters.
- Acknowledge others feelings, without judgement. We all need to be heard and understood. Understanding how someone feels can path the way to finding a solution to the problem.
- Be aware of your body language. 93% of our communication is non-verbal. We use a mixture of body language and facial expressions. Be open with your body language and this will help you to be more approachable.
- Watch your tonne of voice. The way something is said is just as important as what is being said. It can make a huge difference to how what you say is received.
- Be prepared, think about what you want to say and how you want to say it. A few minutes preparing can make a big difference.
- Lead by example. Keep the lines of communication open. If you are seen to be talking, others will know it’s ok to do so. Again, making you more approachable.
- Compliment! When someone’s done a good job, notice and tell them. We all like to have our achievements noticed and appreciated.
- Be clear and concise about what you want. When delegating think about, who, what, when, how and WHY. Explaining the why may be all someone needs to get motivated to complete a task.
- Show some vulnerability. Tell your story it will inspire others. Think of times you have been in similar situations and help them to find the recourses they need to cope.
Start putting these into practise today, get the results you want tomorrow!